ULTIMATE HOT DOG GUIDE: 10 WAYS TO COOK HOT DOGS ON STOVE
PELLET SMOKER TUBE - EASILY GET SMOKE IN ANY GRILL OR SMOKER
Everybody has found themselves looking in the fridge for something to eat that is quick, easy, requires very little prep, cleanups easily, and has spotted that package of hot dogs.
The next question is “How to Cook Hot Dog on Stove”?
Luckily there are alternative methods for cooking dogs. We are going to cover what you need to know to get delicious results.
Cooking The Hot Dogs
How to choose the best hot dog?
With as many types of dogs available it is impossible to recommend the best.
Hot dogs are no longer one choice at the store. There are 100s of different types of dogs that cater to many different tastes.
With many different types of frankfurters, it makes sense there are many different cooking methods.
Whichever hot dog you choose, the following 10 ways to cook Hot Dogs will help you serve up the perfect hot dog.
It would seem hot dogs are a pretty simple menu item, but there are plenty of questions asked about them. One question I frequently hear is:
ARE HOT DOGS ALREADY COOKED? DO I HAVE TO REHEAT HOT DOGS?
Though hot dogs are pre-cooked before packaging the FDA recommends always reheating them until they ‘are steaming’.
After being processed and packaged, hot dogs can become contaminated with Listeria germs. The reheating kills the bacteria if any present.
SHOULD YOU POKE HOLES IN HOT DOGS BEFORE COOKING?
There is a school of thought that suggests poking holes in the dog will stop them from bursting during cooking.
DON’T PIERCE HOT DOGS! This lets the juices come out and the hot dog becomes dry and less flavorful.
CAN YOU EAT RAW HOT DOGS?
It is important to always reheat hot dogs until they’re steaming hot. Some ready-to-eat foods can become contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes after they have been processed and packaged at the plant. If it’s not possible to reheat hot dogs, don’t eat them. F.D.A.
1. How to Boil Hot Dogs?
Boiling hot dogs in a pot of water is a quick, easy way to make a great tasting, juicy dog. This will ensure that your hot dogs are evenly cooked and flavorful.
Fill a medium-sized saucepan halfway with water and bring to a boil over high heat.
Once it is boiling, add in as many dogs as you wish to eat. Let the hot dogs cook for about 6-7 minutes until plump.
Turn heat off.
To keep uneaten dogs warm leave in the hot water, covered or not.
To add more flavor use a can of beer.
Add some spices to the water/beer:
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian spice mix
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Take to a new level by sauteing the frankfurters, a quick way to make them crispy.
- After boiling the dogs heat a skillet at medium-high heat and add a little olive oil to the pan.
- Split the dogs in half, but not all the way through, lengthwise.
- When the oil is hot place dog into pan split-side down and saute until brown and crispy.
HOW TO COOK FROZEN HOT DOGS?
You can boil frozen hot dogs. They may take a little longer to cook.
2. How To Grill Hot Dogs On Stove?
- In a skillet or frying pan add about 1/2 inch of water
- Set heat to medium-high.
- When water starts to boil carefully add hot dogs to the pan. Do not crowd the dogs in the pan.
- Steam the dogs. While cooking roll the dogs in the pan to brown all sides, the water should be evaporated.
- Using tongs or a fork remove dogs when thoroughly heated.
- Turn heat off.
- Warm buns by placing face down in the pan for 30-45 seconds.
Pro Tip: Add some butter to the pan to increase the flavor of the dogs.
3. Boiling Hot Dogs In The Microwave
- Fill a microwave-safe bowl half-full with water. Make sure the bowl is large enough to hold the number of hot dogs you want to cook. A glass or plastic microwave-safe bowl works great.
- Use a microwave-safe bowl large enough to hold the hot dogs and enough water to cover them.
- Slit the hot dogs lengthwise with a knife. This prevents the dogs from bursting in the microwave.
- Cook the hot dogs on high for 75 seconds. Check the dogs after 75 seconds to determine if they are thoroughly heated.
- If they need to cook longer, cooking in 30-second increments until all the dogs are fully heated.
- Check to see if it needs to cook longer by looking at the texture of the hot dog, if the skin looks wrinkled and darker in color, it is probably done.
- The more hot dogs the longer it will take to cook.
A microwaved hot dog is not safe to eat unless it has cooked for at least 75 seconds.
4. Steaming Frankfurters In Microwave
A nice thing about microwaving hot dogs is you can have one ready in under a minute.
Prep your dog. Wrap it in a paper towel and place it in the microwave or put the frankfurter on a plate and cover it with a paper towel. The paper towel absorbs the moisture that escapes from the hot dog, keeping it nice and juicy.
Preparing more than one? Lay them side by side on a plate and cover them all with a paper towel. Leave a little room between them so they heat evenly.
Cook on high. Start at 40 or 50 seconds for one frankfurter. Add 20 seconds for each you add.
Check to see if they’re warmed up all the way through. If not, microwave them for an extra 30 seconds and test one again. Heat and test in 30-second increments.
Warm Bun. Microwave separately for 10-15 seconds.
5. How To Steam Hot Dogs
Steaming hot dogs is similar to boiling. It heats them thoroughly but does not add flavor.
Using a steamer insert or basket placed it in a pot with a couple of inches of water. Place the frankfurters in the basket so they are not in direct contact with the water and bring to a boil.
Cook until the internal temperature reaches 140 degrees, approximately 5 minutes. The temperature can be measured ready with an instant-read thermometer.
Steaming or boiling are the most common methods to heat hot dogs. Both methods add nothing to the flavor and actually reduce the taste and texture of the dogs.
6. How to Cook Hot Dogs In a Slow Cooker/Crock Pot
This method is great for a crowd.
Use this method for a lot of people who will be eating over a long period of time. Up to 48 dogs in a 4-quart slow cooker and 60 in a larger 6-quart slow cooker.
There is a trick to have success with this method: DO NOT ADD WATER.
The hot dogs will steam in the heat and release moisture as they warm. Adding water will cause the dogs to get mushy and may cause the casings to split releasing the juices and flavors.
- Add the hot dogs to your slow cooker.
- Stand them upright if possible to heat evenly. NOTE: ‘extra-long’ hot dogs will not be able to stand upright.
- If laying them horizontally rotate them once or twice during cooking for even heating.
- Heat on High for 2 hours or Low for 4 hours
7. How To Cook Hot Dogs In The Oven OR The Oven Roasting Method
Reviews for this recipe are all fantastic. Roasting hot dogs in the oven is a great way to develop a flavor similar to grilling them.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice about halfway through the frank using a knife.
- Place on dogs on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Cook for 15 minutes until the hot dog is starting to curl and brown.
- If a browner hot dog is desired put in broiler and brown.
- Remove from oven and add cheese if desired and place back in the oven for an additional minute.
- When a hot dog is done, place it on the bun and add toppings.
8. How To Roast Hot Dogs Over An Open Flame Or Campfire
Hot dogs are an easy meal when camping. You do not need to worry about marinating them or trimming them. You just want to keep them cold until it is time to cook.
Know beforehand whether you will be using a stick you find at your cooking location, a grilling fork which you pack in, or a grilling basket. If using a stick try to find a double-pronged stick, it will make the task much easier. A double-pronged stick is easier to use because it holds the frank more firmly. A single-pronged stick may lead to losing your dog in the fire.
- Build a fire and allow the coals to turn orange. You want to cook over the coals or controlled, small flames, so you do not burn yourself or the dog.
- You do not want the dog to fall into the fire because you were jerking around trying not to get burnt.
- If using a stick it will be easiest to cut a hole in the dog with a knife rather than force the stick through, two holes if a double-pronged stick.
- Turn the frank constantly over the fire until it’s fully heated; approximately 2-4 minutes.
9. Instant Pot Hot Dogs
The Instant Pot is a new way to cook hot dogs fast and in quantity. You can cook 20-30 hot dogs with less than a 1-minute cooking time.
Total time is about 20 minutes, including the time to let the Instant Pot get up to pressure.
Close and seal the lid and press “Pressure Cook” or “Manual” and set the time to ZERO. That is right ZERO!
The hot dogs cook while the Instant Pot is coming to pressure. When it is done cooking, quick release the steam, be careful and that is it.
Keep the frankfurters below the “Max Fill” line of the instant pot, you are set to cook!
The amount of liquid stays at one cup no matter how many hot dogs you are making and the cooking time will always be zero minutes on High pressure.
10. The Air Fryer Cooking Method
Crisp hot dogs and toasted buns made in minutes in your air fryer.
Preheat air fryer to 390 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Place buns in the basket of the air fryer and cook for 1-2 minutes. Remove buns to a plate.
Place hot dogs in the basket of the air fryer and cook for 4-5 minutes. Insert into buns.
Top The Hot Dogs with your favorite condiments.
Sometimes I get this question. How do you make hot dogs taste better?
It is the toppings!
No matter how you cook your dogs, the best flavor comes afterward in the form of great condiments. Place your dogs in their buns and add your favorite toppings. Here are a few ideas for toppings:
- Shredded cheese
- Ketchup and mustard
- Chopped onions, raw or sauteed
- Sauteed mushrooms
- Pickle relish
- onion slice
- Dill pickle spear
- Fresh tomato slices (halved)
- Diced onions
- Pickle relish- to get the neon green add a drop of blue food coloring
- Yellow Mustard
- Sport Peppers– similar to pepperoncini, only smaller
- Seasoning Salt
The Wrap Up
There you have 10 ways to cook hot dogs on the stove plus other options.
Let me know in the comments section your favorite Hot Dog cooking method.